Sunday, February 12, 2012

Baked Onion Rings

Mmmmm.  Onion rings.  I don't know about you, but onion rings are one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures.  Guilt be gone!  These babies are baked, not fried, and they are every bit as delicious.  Woof!



I made these as a special appetizer for Super Bowl Sunday. They were so well received that most of them didn't even make it off the baking sheet.  They were devoured straight from the oven!  There's a keeper for you. 

I really like the mixture of breadcrumbs to panko in this recipe.  It allows for full coverage plus extra crunch all at the same time. 

And finally, a word of caution.  Your hands will get super sticky.  Try to keep each hand to its own job. Don't cross contaminate!  It also helps to have the sink running with a thin stream of warm water for rinsing your hands when they get to gummy.  And they will!  If that seems wasteful, maybe a bowl of warm water and a clean kitchen towel nearby would do.

You will dirty a lot of bowls, but it is so worth it!

Onion Rings (adapted from 10th Kitchen)

2 large onion rings, I used a sweet variety
2-4 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, plain
1 cup panko crumbs, plain
salt and pepper to taste
other spices to taste, such as:  garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, etc...
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the onions cross-wise to create rings.  I'll be honest.  In my quest for the perfect sized rings, I cut two onions, but probably only used one onion.  The slices toward either pole of the onion were just not that ring-like.  I'm sure you could always just chop the rejects, and freeze them for another, future use.

Now it's time to set up your assembly line: 

Place the rings you are using in a medium bowl, and pour the buttermilk over them.  Set aside.

Spoon the flour into a shallow baking dish.  Season with about half a teaspoon each of salt and pepper.Set aside.

Whisk the eggs into yet another shallow baking dish.  Set aside.

Fill a final shallow baking dish with the breadcrumbs and panko crumbs.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add in your favorite spices to taste.  I used garlic powder and paprika.  Set aside.

Grease two rimmed baking sheets with a tablespoon each of olive oil.  Set aside.

Arrange your assembly line.  I'm right handed, so, from left to right, I laid out my bowl of soaking onions, the seasoned flour, the beaten egg, the breadcrumb mixture, and finally a greased baking sheet

If you are right handed:

Use your left hand to remove a ring from the bowl.  Use your left hand to dredge it in the flour.  I found that spinning it with my finger was helpful.

Use your left hand to drop the flour coated ring into the egg.

Use your right hand to coat the ring in egg. 

Use your right hand to transfer the ring to the breadcrumb mixture.  Spin and flip the ring to fully coat with crumbs. 

Use your right hand to place the ring on the baking sheet.  No need to leave spaces between the rings.  Mine were touching and they still came out nice and crispy.

Repeat!  Once you get good at this, you can have your left and right hand working at the same time.  Kind of like patting your head with your left hand while rubbing your tummy with your right hand.  :)

Once I had my first baking sheet filled I placed it in the oven to bake while I worked on filling the second sheet. 

Bake each sheet for 15-20 minutes, or until the desired crispness is achieved.  (I just noticed that the original recipe said to broil the rings for an additional 5-10 minutes.  Good idea to try for next time.)

Usually I love how the sweetness of ketchup cuts through the greasy-ness of fried onion rings.  However, these baked onion rings held their own without any sauce.  (The ketchup in the picture is just for looks.)
But you can enjoy it however you like it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad these were so well received! Good tip about keeping things neat, too--this is a messy endeavor for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Is your tail waggin'? I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...